Install Vieb - A minimalist Vim-style browser
Split screens, run commands with privacy and ease!
We made an video about the qutebrowser a while ago and in this article we will get to know an even more minimalist option that is Vieb.
Vieb is a browser created with Electron that can also be used as Vim with modes: normal, visual, insertion and commands. Its characteristics are:
- Free, open source, fast and secure;
- Local first adblocking, autocomplete, AMP protection, custom redirects;
- Privacy with restricted permission system, overrides, firefox mode, personalized WebRTC policy;
- Accessible with custom themes, full interface and font size scale, page zoom, spell check and mouse support
- Security settings with permissions, cache usage, cookie management, download settings (automatic);
- Split window for browsing multiple windows with:: split,: vsplit, ctrl + w,…
- Command mappings for keyboard strings, keystrokes, fully customized commands and actions
- Viebrc configuration file for all custom commands / Vieb / Vim to configure settings permanently
- Set command for runtime configuration configuration exactly like Vim
- Vim compatible options like showcmd, timeout, colorscheme, maxmapdepth, spelllang, splitright, ignorecase etc.
- Container guides with colored grouping, automatic cleaning, individual cookies and restoration of container guides
- Ad blocker with optional updater and custom list support, standard for: easylist and easyprivacy
- Guides including audio indicator, toggle for multi-line guides, fixed guides, muted and suspended guides
- Offline help documentation always available when pressing F1
- And much, much more!
- AppImage x64
- Fedora .rpm
- Debian/Ubuntu/Mint .deb
- Arch Linux
- Linux .tar.gz
- Windows portable x64
- Mac app x64
- FreeBSD x64
- And many more options on this link.
I did a quick test via AppImage in the following simple way:
And I’m already using it! 😃
See Vieb’s official website for more information: https://vieb.dev/