List of some famous software written in C++
C was B successor. Simula was the successor to ALGOL 60. And C++ was the successor to both.
I once read someone saying, “C++ not my favorite programming language, but my religion!” 😃, I make this quote my words!
Some people think that C++ is just a classy C, but in fact C++ has both C concepts and the Simula programming language. These in turn were also based on others. C was based on the B programming language (which in turn was a BCPL miniset), and Simula was based on ALGOL 60.
But not quite! If it were that difficult, it would not be widely chosen by several mega projects that test everything before: performance, safety, … to choose the ideal language, about this we can currently quote Ingenuity the drone that will fly on the planet Mars, which by the way NASA reported that the possible date will be April 8, 2021.
Despite citing Ingenuity, the list of software is very long, so I separated some more well-known by category, let’s go know what they are!
Most operating systems are written in C and C++ languages. These include:
- Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and 10;
- Apple Mac OS X;
- Symbian OS;
- Google Chrome OS;
- RIM BlackBerry OS 4.x;
- Apple iPhone iPod Touch and iPad OS;
- and Haiku OS, which is 100% written in C++ only. Linux, although there are parts written in C++, mostly C only prevails.
- Google Chrome (and its foks, like Chromium, Edge, for example)
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, FrontPage)
- Apache OpenOffice
- Corel Office / WordPerfect Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- IBM Lotus Notes
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Facebook - Although your display code is PHP, C++ is the one who executes all requests.
- Youtube - Like Facebook, Youtube uses Python as a “front-end” that delivers to C++ to process all requests.
- Amazon - In many of its services
- Paypal - All backend
- Microsoft Windows Media Player
- Apple iPod software
- VLC media player
- Oracle database
- IBM DB2
- Microsoft SQL Server
- IBM Informix
- SAP DB/MaxDB
- Microsoft Windows UI
- Apple MacOS UI (Aqua)
- KDE (Qt)
Compilers and virtual machines for programming languages
- Microsoft Visual C++ compiler
- Microsoft Visual Basic Compiler
- Microsoft Visual C # Compiler
- Microsoft .Net CLR
- Java Virtual Machine (JVM)
It is difficult to quote Games written in C++, because almost all of them were written in C++, it would be easier to quote those that were not written in C++, but let’s try:
- Doom III
- Sierra Online: Birthright
- Hell fire
- Bullrider I and II
- Trophy Bear
- Kings Quest
- Blizzard: StarCraft
- StarCraft: Brood War
- Diablo I and II
- Warcraft III, World of Warcraft
Well, as I said about the Games, I use the same words to talk about Engines, almost all of them were C++, with rare exceptions, so I will summarize by mentioning only the most famous ones:
- Unreal Engine
Multimedia editing applications
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- OBS Studio
- Acrobat Reader
- Curiosity landing system
- Ingenuity software
- Microsoft Visual Studio
Some famous companies that make excessive use of C++
This is not the end of the list, many other powerful software are developed in C++. Many features created by C++ have been implemented in C. If any “hater friend” tries to convince you otherwise, show him that article.